Gleam and Static Types with Louis Pilfold
November 24th, 2020
48 mins 57 secs
About this Episode
We talk with Louis Pilfold about how he created Gleam, a static typed language that runs on the BEAM. Louis explains some of the challenges with bringing static types to the BEAM and shares ideas on what can possibly be done about it. We learn how Gleam got started, how it works, and how Elixir and Erlang can interop with it. We cover the recently released Gleam OTP work, talk about Type Driven Development and much more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/23
Elixir Community News
- http://devonestes.com/announcing_muzak – Devon Estes' Muzak mutation testing library
- https://blog.appsignal.com/2020/11/17/announcing-appsignal-for-elixir-integration-2-0.html – AppSignal released 2.0 of their reporting tool
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/pull/1223 – Phoenix LiveView file upload fix for components
- https://github.com/rrrene/credo – Happy 5th birthday Credo!
- https://elixir-lang.org/blog/2020/11/17/real-time-collaboration-with-elixir-at-slab/ – New Elixir case-study looks at the collaborative wiki product Slab
- https://github.com/teamon/tesla/releases/tag/v1.4.0 – Tesla v1.4.0 released - an Elixir HTTP client
- https://elixirforum.com/t/introducing-elixirls-the-elixir-language-server/5857/119 – ElixirLS version 0.6.2 released.
- https://dashbit.co/blog/you-may-not-need-redis-with-elixir – Jose Valim wrote a blog post addressing the idea of people saying "you don’t need Redis when you use Elixir".
- https://baremessages.org/ – A new "binary serialization library" called "bare". Aims to make Erlang data structures serialize easier in other languages
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at email@example.com
- https://gleam.run/community/ – Join the Gleam Discord server
- https://twitter.com/louispilfold – on Twitter
- https://github.com/lpil/ – on Github
- https://lpil.uk – Blog
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward