Postgres PubSub and Elixir with Allen Wyma
February 2nd, 2021
45 mins 11 secs
About this Episode
We talk with Allen Wyma about a Postgres PubSub feature and how it plays nice with Elixir. We dispel the idea that you should always use Phoenix PubSub just because it's there and we cover the value of learning what's built-in to tools like the postgrex library. Allen shares how Postgres PubSub elegantly solved a problem for him and he gives tips for using it. We also talk about teaching Elixir through Allen's YouTube videos and teaching in person with his Teach Me Code efforts.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/33
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1353634780018069506 – Jose Valim will reveal what project Nx is on ThinkingElixir!
- https://www.lambdadays.org/lambdadays2021/thinking-elixir – 15% discount on LambdaDays tickets, use coupon code "thinkingelixir15"
- https://www.testingliveview.com/ – German Velasco's Testing LiveView book now has a early-access course
- https://github.com/elixir-circuits/circuits_quickstart/releases/tag/v0.4.2 – Nerves Circuits Quickstart image was updated with WiFi improvement
- https://github.com/erlef/setup-elixir – The Erlang Ecosystem Foundation is now the proud owner of the github action "setup-elixir". Providing an "official" Github Actions Elixir CI pipeline.
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/10674 – Mix.install landed making it easier to do system scripting with Elixir
- https://twitter.com/louispilfold/status/1353058992751140867 – Gleam Lang project now generates Erlang typespecs for better integrations
- https://thinkingelixir.com/podcast-episodes/023-gleam-and-static-types-with-louis-pilfold/ – Previous interview with Louis Pilfold about Gleam
- https://elixirstatus.com/p/Vmxb2-intellij-elixir-v1192 – Lots of bug fixes for Elixir support in the IntelliJ Elixir plugin
- https://github.com/hexpm/hexpm/commit/f2e7e946ccf4a402aa26594a6fa412332a7f7c5f – Using custom Hex.pm registries is supported in mix.exs files
- https://twitter.com/fhunleth/status/1352364417846026240 – mix hex.outdated updated to include a link that shows the diffs
- https://hex.pm/blog/introducing-hex-preview – Todd Resudek announced preview.hex.pm to see exactly what gets installed with a package
- https://developer.x-plane.com/2021/01/have-you-heard-the-good-news-about-elixir/ – X-Plane is using Elixir for their new MMO feature
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- https://twitter.com/allenwyma – Allen on Twitter
- https://twitter.com/Plangora – Plangora on Twitter
- https://www.github.com/plangora – on Github
- http://www.plangora.com – Blog
- http://www.teachmecode.hk – Teach Me Code website
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward