EMPEX Mtn and Starting Knock with Chris Bell
December 14th, 2021
53 mins 24 secs
About this Episode
We talk with Chris Bell, host of the Elixir Talk podcast and EMPEX conference organizer. Chris tells us about a new EMPEX chapter in the US Western states. EMPEX MTN will be in Salt Lake City, Utah. Chris started a new company called Knock using Elixir. We hear what problems it helps solve and more about his startup journey. A fun discussion with some tech insights, architecture overviews, and more on the rollercoaster of starting your own thing!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/77
Elixir Community News
- https://www.twitch.tv/josevalim – José Valim started the Advent of Code live streams on Twitch
- https://github.com/josevalim/aoc/tree/main/2021 – Livebook solution source code
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNP8vc86_-SOV1ZEvX_q9BLYWL586zWnF – Playlist of edited live streams that are shorter to watch with chapter breaks
- https://twitter.com/_uwu_cocoa/status/1467078512293130243 – Computer vision in Livebook using OpenCV
- https://github.com/cocoa-xu/evision – evision pulls OpenCV source code from GitHub, parse and automatically generates corresponding OpenCV-Elixir bindings.
- https://twitter.com/_uwu_cocoa/status/1466675653072371717 – The extra steps were taken to make a reduced set of OpenCV functionality work on Nerves.
- https://elixir-lang.org/blog/2021/12/03/elixir-v1-13-0-released/ – Elixir 1.13 released - blog post highlighting features
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.13/CHANGELOG.md – The more detailed changelog that identifies the new language features.
- https://twitter.com/atyborska93/status/1467520341023068162 – Angelika Tyborska updated her Elixir Enum Cheatsheet that visually explains what functions do.
- https://angelika.me/elixir-enum-cheatsheet/#slide/3 – Angelika's update cheatsheet and the slide function
- https://gleam.run/news/gleam-v0.18-released/ – Gleam v0.18 released
- https://blog.rentpathcode.com/introducing-eflamb%C3%A9-3065e70f9eb – eFlambé by Trevor Brown - a SpawnFest winner
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md#v040-2021-12-05 – Livebook v0.4 was released
- https://twitter.com/dorgan_/status/1467189972847452169 – The Sourceror library got a new release. V0.9.0.
- http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/54 – Our previous interview with Lucas San Román about Sourceror
- https://github.com/supabase/supabase/tree/master/studio – Supabase recently open sourced their Dashboard.
- https://thinkingelixir.fireside.fm/73 – Our previous interview with Paul Copplestone at Supabase
- https://www.elixirconf.eu/ – ElixirConf EU 2022 is happening in London/virtual on April 6-8
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- https://www.empex.co/mtn – EMPEX MTN - Salt Lake City, UT - May 6, 2022
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIYiFWyuEytDzyju6uXW40Q – YouTube Playlists for previous EMPEX Conferences
- https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/elixir-talk/id1298287048 – Elixir Talk podcast
- https://twitter.com/codevisuals/status/838881724016787457?lang=en – Flowchart for how Slack decides whether to send a notification or not.
- https://twitter.com/cjbell_ – on Twitter
- https://github.com/cjbell/ – on Github
- https://twitter.com/empexco – Empex on Twitter
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward