Some people excitedly talk about the “end of localhost development” when developer machines move to the cloud. Presumably this is better because our environments, infrastructure and projects are so complex that they need this additional layer of abstraction just to keep teams productive. Is this our inevitable future? Or is this trying to solve the wrong problem? We talk about what we think this movement is about and how it relates to us. Elixir projects can potentially be much simpler with fewer external dependencies making this move to the cloud less compelling. Join us as we contemplate how Elixir and Phoenix might fare in a world with no “localhost development”.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/110
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1549295894721445888 – Explanation thread about how new Kernel.dbg function works.
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1551463778893631488 – New Kernel.dbg/0 prints the current bindings.
- https://twitter.com/sorentwo/status/1550155422438494211 – Oban v2.13.0 and Oban Pro v0.12.0 were released.
- https://getoban.pro/docs/pro/changelog.html – Oban Pro changelog
- https://hexdocs.pm/oban/changelog.html – Oban OSS changelog
- https://hexdocs.pm/kino/Kino.Process.html – New Kino.Process module added to Kino 0.6.2.
- https://github.com/elixir-plug/plug/pull/1111 – Plug gets a new “Copy to markdown” button
- https://twitter.com/MachinesAreUs/status/1549072505423503363 – New tool for automatically detecting cyclic dependencies between modules in Elixir?
- https://github.com/elixir-ecto/ecto_sql/pull/428 – EctoSQL gets a new pg_advisory_lock configuration option for Postgres users
- https://elixir-makeup.github.io/makeup_demo/ – Make-up's new demo pages showing off how it highlights code.
- https://github.com/elixir-makeup/makeup – The makeup project
- https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31669762 – HackerNews post that re-ignited this discussion
- https://dx.tips/the-end-of-localhost – The HN post which lays out he arguments
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk – Jonathan Blow - Preventing the Collapse of Civilization (English only)
- https://www.laurencegellert.com/2015/08/is-localhost-development-obsolete/ – Discussion dates back to at least 2015
- https://twitter.com/MarioWhoWrites/status/1542294811067109376 – It feels like DevOps at the language level
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/105 – Recent interview with Uku Taht at Plausible Analytics.
- https://hanselminutes.com/847/engineering-stack-overflow-with-roberta-arcoverde – Stack Overflow infrastructure described
Find us online