Ever wanted to deploy a PR to a temporary server for show-and-tell, QA testing, or to get feedback on it? Jason Axelson joins us to share how he did that on Render.com. We explore how it can be done on other platforms like Fly.io as well. We talk about how this ability benefits teams and companies. We dig into how setting up a seeded DB for the code isolates data changes but also makes it easier for people to test the code with multiple data scenarios. Turns out doing this may be easier than I thought!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/111
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/tree/v1.14.0-rc.0 – Elixir 1.14.0-rc.0 was tagged. This begins the sequence of Release Candidates leading up to the final 1.14 release.
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.14.0-rc.0/CHANGELOG.md – Elixir 1.14.0-rc.0 Changelog
- https://github.com/WhatsApp/eqwalizer – WhatsApp's newly open sourced type-checker for Erlang
- https://engineering.fb.com/2022/07/27/developer-tools/programming-languages-endorsed-for-server-side-use-at-meta/ – Outlines which languages are approved for use in Facebook/Meta.
- https://twitter.com/polvalente/status/1552176607045029889 – Elixir gRPC project released v0.5.0. Includes all commits since v0.5.0-beta.1 in mid 2020.
- https://dockyard.com/blog/2022/07/26/what-to-expect-from-the-dockyard-academy-q-a-with-instructor-brooklin-myers – Update on the DockYard Academy - a 90-day, online Elixir bootcamp
- https://github.com/DockYard-Academy/beta_curriculum – DockYard Academy's beta curriculum
- https://elixirstatus.com/p/GpNe2-intellij-elixir-v1320 – IntelliJ Elixir v13.2.0
- https://github.com/superfly/litefs – LiteFS is a FUSE-based file system for replicating SQLite databases across a cluster of machines
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/101 – Our interview with Ben Johnson about SQLite and Litestream
- https://twitter.com/bostonvaulter/status/1531757674236243968 – Button to deploy a PR branch for easy review.
- https://render.com/docs/preview-environments#automatic-expiration – Render documentation about Preview Environment and Automatic Expiration
- https://github.com/superfly/fly-pr-review-apps – Ability to do PR reviews on Fly.io using Github Actions
- https://render.com/docs/infrastructure-as-code – Render docs for Infrastructure as Code (IaC)
- https://render.com/docs/preview-environments – Render docs for Preview Environments
- https://twitter.com/bostonvaulter – on Twitter
- https://github.com/axelson/ – on Github
- https://jasonaxelson.com/ – Blog
Find us online