ElixirConf 2022 Recap
September 6th, 2022
38 mins 42 secs
About this Episode
ElixirConf US 2022 just finished! We cover the big announcements, talk highlights, and other relevant tech news. We discuss what some of these big announcements and projects represent and what they might mean for the Elixir community going forward. We talk about the Elixir 1.14 release, Livebook advances, Phoenix 1.7, machine learning progress, and the surprise announcement of Phoenix LiveView Native!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/115
Elixir Community News
- https://elixir-lang.org/blog/2022/09/01/elixir-v1-14-0-released/ – Elixir v1.14 officially released
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.14.0/CHANGELOG.md#changelog-for-elixir-v114 – Elixir 1.14 changelog
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.14.0/CHANGELOG.md#changelog-for-elixir-v114 – Nerves v1.9.0 fixed Elixir 1.14 warnings
- Phoenix 1.7 upcoming release discussed
- Phoenix 1.7 generators will use Tailwind CSS
- https://github.com/liveviewnative/liveview-client-swiftui – Phoenix LiveView Native was announced
- https://github.com/liveviewnative/elixirconf_chat – ElixirConf Chat project created using Phoenix LiveView Native
- https://getfirefly.org – Lumen was renamed to Firefly
- https://twitter.com/HoldenOullette/status/1565486046237921280 – Podium released an OWASP security training LiveBook for Elixir developers.
- https://github.com/podium/elixir-secure-coding – Elixir Secure Coding Training (ESCT)
- https://www.ectoinproduction.com – Ecto In Production future home
- https://github.com/liveshowy/webauthn_live_component – SmartLogic released a LiveComponent to support WebAuthn authentication for your LiveView app
- https://github.com/liveshowy/webauthn_live_component_demo – WebAuthn authentication demo page
- https://github.com/kipcole9/tempo – Kip Cole released a new kind of DateTime library called Tempo
- https://kipcole9.github.io/tempo/2021-01-04-its-about-time/ – Temp blog post explains more about it.
- https://twitter.com/steveschoger/status/1562117153591107586 – Heroicons v2.0 released. Used in TailwindUI templates.
- https://twitter.com/louispilfold/status/1564247740879609860 – Louie Pilford showed a screenshot of Gleam compiling Elixir's Plug
- https://blog.heroku.com/next-chapter – Heroku, a popular PaaS made significant policy changes. Ending free tier and more.
- https://spectrum.ieee.org/top-programming-languages-2022 – IEEE Top Programming Languages 2022
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1565408635961884673 – José Valim shared they are porting non-neural algorithms to Elixir/Nx which runs on both CPU/GPU. Shared impressive performance comparisons.
- Chris Grainger gave a keynote about how Elixir is ready for real, production machine learning work.
- https://www.lambdadays.org/lambdadays2022 – Lambda Days conference. 5-6 June 2023 in Krakow, Poland
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward