AI topics are all the rage right now, so we team up with Sean Moriarity to unpack what's going on and what it means for Elixir. Sean talks about Nx and his insights on the timing of Elixir's readiness for the public AI shift. He explains some of the Python frustrations that Elixir can alleviate and he shares tips on putting a PoC ML solution into a production Elixir app. Recently, Sean added LLaMa support to Bumblebee and he explains the background for the OpenSource Meta LLM people have been playing with and more! Turns out there's a lot to be excited about for AI and Elixir!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/154
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/tag/v1.15.0-rc.1 – Elixir 1.15.0-rc.1
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/tag/v1.14.5 – Elixir 1.14.5 - small bug fix release
- https://elixirforum.com/t/elixirls-not-working-runtime-terminating-during-boot/56017/6 – Elixir-LS crashes with OTP 26. Using OTP 25.x works great.
- https://github.com/elixir-lsp/elixir-ls/issues/886 – Issue that tracks Elixir LS OTP 26 issues
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view/blob/v0.19.0/CHANGELOG.md – Phoenix LiveView 0.19 changelog
- https://twitter.com/chris_mccord/status/1663275883845566473 – Chris McCord announced LiveView 0.19 and TodoTrek demo application.
- https://phoenixframework.org/blog/phoenix-liveview-0.19-released – Blog post for the LiveView 0.19 release
- https://github.com/chrismccord/todo_trek – OpenSourced Todo Trek project. “A trello-like todo board which shows off different dynamic form strategies with Phoenix LiveView.”
- https://www.twitch.tv/josevalim – José Valim Twitch account
- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1827518510 – Prompts for AI agents in Elixir - Day 1 (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1828360654 – Prompts for AI agents in Elixir - Day 2 (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)
- https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1832616594 – Contributing to Open Source with Elixir!
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1663316201584443394 – José on Twitter sharing the
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/pull/1936 – Livebook doctest feature ended in a PR that was merged.
- https://twitter.com/christhekeele/status/1661178730037886978 – Chris Keele shared a tip about customizing your IEx prompt to make copying output easier.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr6VAfCm_QE – On the shoulder of giants there's room for larger giants- F. Cesarini, A. Leopardi | CBL Mexico 23
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yU9mvwZKoY – Distributed Elixir made easy by Johanna Larsson | Code BEAM Lite Mexico 2023
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phRXs8SKzP0 – How to sell Elixir (Again) by Evadne Wu | Code BEAM Lite Stockholm 2023
- https://2023.elixirconf.com – ElixirConf tickets are now on sale
- https://github.com/elixir-nx/bumblebee/pull/199 – You recently added LLaMa support to Bumblebee
- https://www.semianalysis.com/p/google-we-have-no-moat-and-neither – Google AI researcher leaked memo
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_selfie_copyright_dispute – In December 2014, the United States Copyright Office stated that works created by a non-human, such as a photograph taken by a monkey, are not copyrightable.
- https://twitter.com/sean_moriarity – on Twitter
- https://github.com/seanmor5/ – on Github
- https://seanmoriarity.com – Blog
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org