Mark and David share what's caught their interests and focus. Langchain is a popular framework in JS and Python communities for building services that knit together different services enabling people to quickly build impressive demos. Mark talks about the parts of Langchain that interest him and how he's been building ways for Elixir apps to play in that space too. We also catch up with David’s job change, moving, and talk about his ideas around using Oban for managing data migrations in a new way.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/159
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1674817111863054337 – Elixir v1.15.2 and Erlang/OTP 26.0.2 are both out. All of the known bugs have been ironed out. This release also contains fixes needed by ElixirLS. ElixirLS release 0.15.1 leverages these.
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1675900744954785796 – Elixir's type system has moved out of the “research” phase into the “development” phase.
- https://twitter.com/ElixirConf/status/1675995012453093376 – José will be talking more about the Elixir work around types in his ElixirConf US 2023 keynote talk.
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1674893183640125442 – José shared where he wants to turn more of his focus in Elixir 1.16. It's all around “docs”.
- https://github.com/woodward/integrator – A new Nx focused Hex package by Greg Woodward called “Integrator”.
- https://github.com/woodward/integrator/tree/main/guides – Includes Livebook guides with samples
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1675887336339406850 – Andrea Leopardi released v2.0.0 of Corsica, an Elixir library for handling CORS requests.
- https://twitter.com/voltonez/status/1676125858581422080 – Bram Verburg pointed out AWS RDS database connection failure issue after upgrading to Erlang/OTP 26 is probably due to certificate validation.
- https://github.com/voltone/aws_rds_castore – The Hex package aws_rds_castore to help manage AWS CA certificates
- https://hex.pm/packages/image – Image 0.35.0 was released. Updates primarily focused on image contrast.
- https://twitter.com/DNAutics/status/1676059564188286976 – ZigDocs was released
- https://hexdocs.pm/zig_doc/Zig.Doc.html – Integrates Zig documentation into Elixir docs.
- https://getoban.pro/releases#1.0.0 – Oban Pro v1.0 is out without any new features or bugfixes, purely a renamed engine and deprecation cleanup.
- https://blog.langchain.dev/announcing-our-10m-seed-round-led-by-benchmark/ – Langchain announced $10m seed round
- https://js.langchain.com/docs/ – Langchain JS docs and introduction to the project
- https://python.langchain.com/docs/get_started/introduction.html – Python version of the docs
- Be agentic - allow a language model to interact with its environment
- https://github.com/orthagonal/langchainex – Existing Elixir library called langchainex.
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1668726716947222528 – José talked about OpenAI's new function support
- https://openai.com/blog/function-calling-and-other-api-updates – OpenAI blog announcing official function calling support
- David is thinking about Oban and data migrations
- https://fly.io/phoenix-files/safe-ecto-migrations/ – David wrote a guide on how to run Safe Ecto Migrations for production systems
- https://github.com/fly-apps/safe-ecto-migrations – Guide to Safe Ecto Migrations on Github
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org