After experience with a LiveView “anti-pattern”, Andy Glassman developed an “Async Pattern” for loading data into a LiveView. Andy shares the problem this helps solve and we discuss when it's a good fit. We also talk with Andy about the current state of “admin tools” in Elixir and he shares his feelings on the importance of building admin tools from the start in our projects.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/160
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1678411790361718786 – A new Livebook version should have been released with a new “Presentation View” feature
- https://2023.elixirconf.com/presenters#speakers – List of speakers for ElixirConf US 2023 has been released along with their talk topics.
- https://paraxial.io/blog/app-audit – Inspecting Elixir Dependencies at Runtime for Security
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1678536270664876033 – José Valim completed his live-coding work to load database results directly into Explorer dataframes with ADBC
- https://github.com/elixir-explorer/explorer/pull/648 – ADBC work resulted in a PR
- https://twitter.com/mitchhanberg/status/1676611642786820096 – Mitch Hanberg announced the first public release of Next LS and an elixir-tools update.
- https://www.elixir-tools.dev/news/introducing-next-ls-and-an-elixir-tools-update/ – To get started with Next LS, either install the “Elixir Tools” NeoVim extension or the “Elixir Tools” VSCode extension.
- https://twitter.com/joao_lubien/status/1676983495476891648 – Lubien wrote a mix task to turn any Phoenix Site into a static site.
- https://github.com/lubien/single-file-phoenix-static/blob/main/lib/mix/tasks/generate_static.ex – Lubien's example mix task
- https://tylerayoung.com/2023/07/08/hiring-elixir-devs/ – Tyler Young wrote a blog post with tips for companies wanting to hire Elixir devs.
- https://twitter.com/TylerAYoung/status/1677635466990874626 – Tyler's Twitter thread
- https://johnelmlabs.com/posts/magic-link-auth/ – John Curran wrote up a nice guide for how to build the “magic link” feature into mix gen.auth generated code
- https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10664-023-10343-6 – Paper about Elixir was submitted to the Empirical Software Engineering journal titled “Understanding code smells in Elixir functional language”
- https://twitter.com/peregrine/status/1676984142251081728 – Jason Stiebs wrote a post about how “Elixir Docs are Built Different”
- https://fly.io/phoenix-files/elixir-docs-are-built-different/ – Article that guides people on using the Elixir docs.
- https://blog.andyglassman.com/2023/06/phoenix-liveview-async-assign-pattern.html – Phoenix Live View - Async Assigns
- https://blog.andyglassman.com/2022/08/write-admin-tools-from-day-one.html – Write Admin Tools From Day One
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c9kMmxeSA0 – Andy Glassman - Write Admin Tools from Day One (EMPEX)
- https://twitter.com/a_glassman – on Twitter
- https://github.com/aglassman/ – on Github
- https://blog.andyglassman.com/ – Blog
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org