In this episode, we revisit the Safe Ecto Migrations guide and get an update on improvements. We also discuss the role and importance of OpenSource AI models. We cover updates in the Elixir LangChain library, the advantages of self-hosted AI models like Mistral, and learning how to run Bumblebee on Fly.io GPUs. Tune in for an insightful blend of database best practices and the cutting-edge of AI in Elixir, plus more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/178
Elixir Community News
- https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqj39LCvnOWbHaZldxw_g02RaTQ4vQ1eY – Playlist of 44+ ElixirConf US talks now available on YouTube.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCnfdHtgAN4&list=PLqj39LCvnOWbHaZldxw_g02RaTQ4vQ1eY&index=39 – Owen Bickford's talk on Elixir's Secret Ingredient at ElixirConf.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCJ56GxKf0&list=PLqj39LCvnOWbHaZldxw_g02RaTQ4vQ1eY&index=43 – Jeffery Utter's ElixirConf presentation on Scaling Teams with Kafka on the BEAM.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLO0ma-1uD4&list=PLqj39LCvnOWbHaZldxw_g02RaTQ4vQ1eY&index=44 – Andrew Bennett discusses Erlang Dist Filtering and the WhatsApp Runtime System at ElixirConf.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBaZDAynM08 – Michael Lubas's insights into Elixir Security from a Business and Technical Perspective.
- https://dockyard.com/blog/2023/11/01/the-road-toward-live-view-native-v-0-2-part-2 – Update on the progress of LiveView Native, including multi-character sigils and Phoenix layouts.
- https://sessionize.com/lambda-days-2024 – Call for talks for the Lambda Days 2024 conference focused on functional programming in Kraków, Poland.
- https://twitter.com/germsvel/status/1722221427112456533 – Elixir 1.16 introduces the ability to run multiple tests with line numbers as shown by German Velasco.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfrzGXM-Z88 – Theo's livestream with José Valim, discussing various topics for 2.5 hours.
- https://peterullrich.com/test-an-external-read-only-repository-in-phoenix – Peter Ullrich's method for testing an external, read-only repository in Phoenix.
- 7:43 - David introduces and explains Safe Ecto migrations.
- Updates on Safe Ecto for additional safety features and latest improvements.
- Review of the performance of using text columns in databases showing that they have the same performance as VARCHAR types.
- Examples provided of non-immutable expressions within database contexts.
- Highlighting an error that can occur when backfilling data without a sort order.
- Suggestion that Common Table Expressions (CTE) offers a more reliable method for certain database operations.
- David's call for a library to assist with running database operations through a UI, indicating the desire for tooling improvements.
- Consider the use-cases in the development and implementation of safety tools for databases.
- 18:47 - Mark discusses new Fly.io GPU hardware, model improvements, and the Bumblebee tool.
- Mistral LLM and its capabilities in the AI space.
- Insights into running Bumblebee on GPUs and performance considerations.
- Importance of Mistral being self-hosted.
- Explanation of why self-hosting AI models like Mistral is significant for developers and users.
- OpenAI's outage interrupted Mark's AI-powered workout trainer.
- Outlining the Elixir LangChain goals, its roadmap, and potential impact on AI and data processing.
- Discussion on how Large Language Models (LLMs) are effectively used for data extraction tasks.
- Discussion on what an AI router is and what problem it solves.
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org