Elixir 1.11 Preview with Wojtek Mach
July 7th, 2020
46 mins 11 secs
About this Episode
Elixir 1.11 is shaping up to be a huge release with a number of “big deal” features. We are joined by Wojtek Mach to help us understand the significance of some of the new features. These include an improved recompilation process, when alias is preferred over import, improved compiler checks for structs, Erlang help docs in IEx, and more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/3
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/elixir-lsp/elixir-ls – ElixirLS 0.5.0 released with improved autocomplete
- https://www.tddphoenix.com/work-in-progress/ – German Velesco published a WIP book on TDD for Elixir
- https://elixir-lang.org/blog/2020/06/23/growing-with-elixir-at-brex/ – Elixir’s website is going to start publishing case studies. The first one is on Brex.
- https://github.com/aesmail/kaffy – Kaffy provides a quick way of spinning up an admin portal to manage your resources. Works with Phoenix contexts.
- https://2020.elixirconf.com/ – ElixirConf US 2020 Announced and CFP. Tickets on sale soon. Will be a virtual conference.
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at email@example.com
- https://dashbit.co/blog/speeding-up-re-compilation-of-elixir-projects – Understanding the recompilation problem.
- https://dashbit.co/blog/rewriting-imports-to-aliases-with-compilation-tracers – Wojtek’s blog post on re-writing imports to aliases.
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1276082352448581635 – Jose sharing compilation improvements.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX6inmSF78c – Changelog podcast testing out LiveDashboard - “Let’s take Phoenix LiveDashboard for a spin!”
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_dashboard/ – Phoenix LiveDashboard
- https://bytepack.io/ – Where Wojtek has been spending his time recently
- https://thinkingelixir.com/elixir-in-vs-code/ – Additional Resource - Elixir in VS Code. Getting your dev environment setup.
- https://thinkingelixir.com/elixir-in-the-type-system-quadrant/ – Additional Resource - Understand what it means that Elixir is a Strong Dynamic language.
- https://thinkingelixir.com/install-elixir-using-asdf/ – Additional Resource - Get started with ASDF. Try out the Elixir master branch!
- https://twitter.com/wojtekmach – on Twitter
- https://github.com/wojtekmach/ – on Github
- https://dashbit.co/ – Dashbit
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward