Ecto Associations with Sheharyar Naseer
May 18th, 2021
37 mins 21 secs
About this Episode
We talk with Sheharyar Naseer about Ecto's feature "association defaults" and how they work. We learn how they even support defining a function that gets called during your changeset operations which can be used to ensure multi-tenancy IDs get populated correctly. We learn more about Slab, talk about Single Table Inheritance designs and how we feel about them. We also talk about wrapping the Repo module for fun and profit!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/48
Elixir Community News
- https://blog.taxjar.com/taxjar-will-be-joining-stripe-to-help-build-the-worlds-tax-compliance-infrastructure/ – TaxJar, an Elixir-backed service, was acquired by Stripe
- https://twitter.com/collision/status/1387108960881111040 – Potentially the largest acquisition of a fully-remote company to-date
- https://twitter.com/garazdawi/status/1390303999484514314 – OTP team shared that OTP 21 (older) received it's last patch and will no longer be supported.
- https://twitter.com/MNishiguchiDC/status/1390658051267563520 – Example of using Livebook on Nerves to experiment, document, and control a BMP280 temperature sensor connected to a Raspberry Pi
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1390944763139006464 – Jose Valim was on the Changelog podcast talking about Nx, Axon, Livebook and Machine Learning with Elixir
- https://thinkingelixir.com/podcast-episodes/034-jose-valim-reveals-project-nx/ – Our previous discussion with Jose when he revealed Nx publicly
- https://github.com/elixir-nx/livebook/pull/260 – Livebook got collaborative editing with user-specific cursors (similar to Google Docs)
- https://alchemyconf.com – AlchemyConf is a virtual conference happening on May 28th organized by Subvisual
- https://www.elixirconf.eu/ – ElixirConfEU hosting a "hybrid" conference event. Sept 9-10th in Warsaw and also on-line
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_stake – Feedback on crypto currency environmental concerns. Check out Proof-of-Stake as a more environmentally friendly approach than Proof-of-Work.
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- https://the.slab.com/public/topics/careers-at-slab-4vhprcwg – Slab is hiring!
- https://twitter.com/sheharyarn – on Twitter
- https://github.com/sheharyarn – on Github
- https://shyr.io/ – Blog
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward