We talk with Chris McCord about his recent announcement that he’s moved to work at Fly.io! We cover what this means for the Phoenix project and ongoing Phoenix development work. He shares why he’s excited about the Fly platform which includes how it replaces his need for a CDN! We also talk about the new Phoenix 1.6 release and all the goodness coming there. This release includes the HEEX engine for validated HTML at compile time, making the auth generators official, a new mailer generator, and the move away from Webpack to esbuild. We go deeper on what the move to esbuild means for existing projects before hearing where Chris wants to put his focus next. We covered a lot, so buckle up!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/62
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/11184 – Another improvement made to mix xref graph to find why module A depends on module B.
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/11201 – Recompile only necessary deps whenever config/lock change
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/pull/513 – IEx and Livebook both get improved intellisense (code completion) for structs and sigils.
- https://twitter.com/akoutmos/status/1429835571745153024 – PromEx sponsored by SmartLogic
- https://twitter.com/mitchhanberg/status/1429854685087797248 – Wallaby sponsored by SmartLogic
- https://blog.erlang.org/scalable-ets-counters/ – Lukas Larsson from the Erlang OTP team, wrote a blog post about using ETS tables for distributed counters.
- https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/4719 – OTP 24.1 gets better float to string support
- https://twitter.com/chris_mccord/status/1428821074553315332 – Chris McCord announced he joined Fly.io
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md#changelog-for-v16 – Phoenix 1.6 changelog
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_view – Phoenix LiveView 0.16 released
- https://twitter.com/chris_mccord – on Twitter
- https://github.com/chrismccord – on Github
- http://chrismccord.com/ – Blog
- https://twitter.com/flydotio – Fly.io on Twitter
Find us online