We talk with Nathan Willson about GEMS, his collaborative music generator written in LiveView. He explains how it's built, the JS sound library integrations, what could be done by Phoenix and what is done in the browser. Nathan shares how he deployed it globally to 10 regions using Fly.io. We go over some of the challenges he overcame creating an audio focused web application. It's a fun open-source project that pushes the boundaries of what we think LiveView apps can do!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/79
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1472956310207533057 – José Valim concluded his Advent of Code live streaming.
- https://www.twitch.tv/josevalim – Find them all on his Twitch Channel.
- https://groups.google.com/g/elixir-lang-core/c/jesGwAl8E1s – New Elixir proposal for "for" comprehensions
- https://gist.github.com/josevalim/fe6b0bcc728539a5adf9b2821bd4a0f5 – Github gist showing proposed change
- https://twitter.com/guieevc/status/1002494428748140544 – Presentation picture about ~90% of all internet traffic goes through Erlang-controlled nodes, with Cisco alone shipping 2 million devices a year that use Erlang.
- https://erlef.org/wg/machine-learning – The Machine Learning working group has worked on many projects this year. You can get involved.
- https://twitter.com/sean_moriarity/status/1473017611994734593 – Dockyard sponsoring Sean Moriarity's work on Nx and Axon
- https://twitter.com/importantshock/status/1471585318658793485 – GitHub's syntax highlighting now uses the Tree-sitter grammar for Elixir
- https://twitter.com/wilton_quinn/status/1471803799064887300 – Quinn Wilton's explanation on significance
- https://github.com/michalmuskala/jason/releases/tag/v1.3.0 – Jason 1.3 released with new features
- https://www.lambdadays.org/lambdadays2022/ – Lambda Days conference will be Feb 10-11, 2022 and will be a hybrid conference
- https://gems.nathanwillson.com/ – Play with it online
- https://github.com/nbw/gems – Source code
- https://webassembly.org/ – WASM
- https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-06-human-ear-half-millisecond.html – The human ear detects a half-millisecond delay in sound
- https://fly.io/docs/reference/regions/ – The set of global regions that Fly.io supports
- https://twitter.com/gotbones – Bitwalker on Twitter
- https://twitter.com/nathanwillson – on Twitter
- https://github.com/nbw/ – on Github
- https://nathanwillson.com – Blog
- https://gems.nathanwillson.com – GEMS project running online
Find us online