The recent announcement of Rustler Precompiled prompted a lot of interest and questions. We talk with Philip Sampaio to understand what he created and what problem it helps solve. The project helps lower the bar for using Rust libraries for NIFs in Elixir making it possible to see more libraries using Rustler in the future. He explains what prompted the work initially and how projects can benefit from it. We discuss what it means for internal company projects and especially for libraries. He explains how the project addresses the many architecture and platform combinations too. We end with learning about his sample CI project that shows us how to set up our own CI systems to use it.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/95
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix/pull/4742 – Phoenix presence client
- https://twitter.com/elixirphoenix/status/1511393478873427982 – Twitter thread discussing the Phoenix presence client
- https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix_live_view/changelog.html#0-17-8-2022-04-06 – LiveView 0.17.8 released. Includes the HEEx template formatter
- https://hexdocs.pm/phoenix_live_view/Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLFormatter.html – Docs on how to set it up
- Issues discussing VS Code problems
- https://github.com/DockYard/flame_on – flame_on library updated
- https://dockyard.com/blog/2022/02/22/profiling-elixir-applications-with-flame-graphs-and-flame-on – Original flame_on announcement post for more info
- https://twitter.com/sorentwo/status/1513630468490645509 – Oban adds “inline mode” to make testing more straightforward
- https://www.mitchellhanberg.com/how-eex-turns-your-template-into-html/ – Mitchell Hanberg wrote an article about how EEx works
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/92 – Previous interview with Mitchell Hanberg
- https://exercism.org/tracks/elixir/exercises/take-a-number-deluxe – Exercism.io GenServer learning exercise was added.
- https://twitter.com/atyborska93/status/1513807461043552256 – Angelika shares about the Exercism.io update
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1512100896653590535 – Andrea Leopardi is working at Apple now on their Environment team.
- https://www.apple.com/environment/ – More about the Apple Environment team
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7t7zca8SyM – “Elixir in 100 seconds” video
- https://hex.pm/packages?search=depends%3Ahexpm%3Arustler&sort=total_downloads – Current Hex packages using rustler
- https://twitter.com/philipsampaio – on Twitter
- https://github.com/philss/ – on Github
- https://dashbit.co/blog – Dashbit blog where he writes
- https://phils.dev – Personal blog
Find us online