Elixir in the iOS App Store with Dominic Letz
May 10th, 2022
47 mins 26 secs
About this Episode
Dominic Letz did something I thought was impossible. He got an Elixir application packaged up, approved, and available through the Apple App Store on iOS devices. The application runs Elixir on the device, creates a web view, and hosts Phoenix LiveView pages. They went further and created a bridge to integrate with more of the platform specific features of the device. Is Android your preferred platform? They have it running there as well and in the Google Play Store. We talk about how it works, challenges overcome, and where it is now. They also created several Github projects that show how to do this yourself to create a cross-platform desktop application and apps for Apple and Android mobile devices. Very cool! They want your help to make it even better.
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/98
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1521381183229210624 – Mint now has an official WebSocket client
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1519377962063249409 – José Valim announced Dashbit is sponsoring part-time development of sonic_pi for the next 6 months
- https://sonic-pi.net/ – Sonic Pi website
- https://github.com/sonic-pi-net/sonic-pi – Sonic Pi project
- https://github.blog/2022-04-29-bringing-code-navigation-to-communities/ – Github gave Elixir another shout-out in a recent blog post “Bringing code navigation to communities”.
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1519630932583632897 – The Nx project reaches two major milestones at the same time.
- https://hex.pm/packages/exla – EXLA package now on Hex.pm
- https://hex.pm/packages/torchx – Torchx package now on Hex.pm
- https://twitter.com/robertoaloi/status/1520395745064542209 – WhatsApp's Erlang implementation of the Raft consensus algorithm is now open source
- https://github.com/WhatsApp/waraft – WARaft is a Raft library in Erlang by WhatsApp. It provides an Erlang implementation to obtain consensus among replicated state machines.
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- https://apps.apple.com/us/app/diode-drive/id1605222443 – Diode Drive iOS app
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.diode.drive – Google Play listing
- https://github.com/elixir-desktop/ios-example-app – iOS example app
- https://github.com/elixir-desktop/android-example-app – Android example app
- https://github.com/elixir-desktop/runtimes – Prepared runtimes for android and iOS devices.
- https://github.com/elixir-desktop/bridge – Used by “desktop” - does native integrations
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/69 – Previous interview - episode 69
- https://diode.io/diode%20drive/self-custody-for-data-22032/ – Why you should care about Self-Custody for data now
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/81 – Elixir in a Burrito with Quinn and Digit
- https://twitter.com/DominicLetz – on Twitter
- https://github.com/dominicletz/ – on Github
- https://diode.io/ – Diode.io website
- https://github.com/diodechain – Diode Github organization
- Elixir Slack's desktop channel
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward