We talked with Spawnfest competitors Filipe Cabaço & Joel Carlbark about their entry “Lively”. Lively was all about doing cool things with Ecto in Livebook. The project, later renamed to KinoEcto does 4 cool things around Ecto in Livebook. It builds Entity Relationship diagrams from the Ecto Schemas in your Elixir project. It can visualize the dense Postgres explain output and highlight a problem like when a full table scan is performed. It includes a ChangesetValidator SmartCell, and a QueryBuilder that uses NimbleParsec to parse a raw SQL query and do the initial work of turning that into an Ecto query. We talk about what the 48-hour competition was like, what they accomplished and what they plan to do next!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/127
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/AdRoll/rebar3_hank – rebar3_hank detects dead code in Erlang projects and reports it.
- https://hexdocs.pm/ex_doc/cheatsheet.html – ExDoc v0.29.1 is out with initial support for media prints for cheatsheets
- https://github.com/pawurb/ecto_psql_extras/pull/31 – Add ability to gets all active connections to the database which can be displayed on the Phoenix LiveDashboard for Ecto.
- https://paraxial.io/blog/securing-elixir – Learned 2 additional CI checks to run on Elixir projects
- https://fly.io/phoenix-files/github-actions-for-elixir-ci/ – Mark's CI/CD guide was updated to include the new checks
- https://hexdocs.pm/hex/Mix.Tasks.Hex.Audit.html –
- https://twitter.com/nathanwillson/status/1594565494941458432 – Nathan Willson noticed that Chris recently updated the components in LiveBeats to use the new Phoenix 1.7 abilities
- https://github.com/fly-apps/live_beats/blob/master/lib/live_beats_web/components/core_components.ex – LiveBeats project with new core_components.ex file
- https://twitter.com/agundy_/status/1594558443125350400 – Aaron Gunderson created a really cool basic fly.io Phoenix Function as a Service with auto shutdown sample project.
- https://adventofcode.com/2022 – Advent of Code 2022 starts on Dec 1st.
- https://www.elixirconf.eu/ – ElixirConf EU 2023 - in Lisbon Portugal. Hybrid conference 20-21 April 2023 - In person and virtual
- https://fosdem.org/2023/ – FOSDEM 2023 - Sunday, 5 February 2023 in Brussels, Belgium
- https://beam-fosdem.dev/ – BEAM specific gathering and devroom information
- http://elixirstream.dev – David moved the Elixir diffing project and other tools from utils.zest.dev to ElixirStream.dev
- Starting in 2023, we may not include an interview with every episode. Still bringing you the news!
- https://github.com/spawnfest/lively – Spawnfest submission repo
- https://github.com/vorce/kino_ecto – Project continuing after competition
- https://forvillelser.vorce.se/posts/2022-11-11-spawnfest-kino-ecto-fka-lively.html – Blog post about Lively project
- https://twitter.com/filipecabaco/status/1581786455688777728 – Tweet about the project
- https://twitter.com/thramosal – Teammate - Thiago Ramos
- https://twitter.com/vittoria_bitton – Teammate - Vittoria Bitton
- https://twitter.com/filipecabaco – Filipe Cabaço on Twitter
- https://github.com/filipecabaco/ – Filipe Cabaço on Github
- https://filipecabaco.com – Blog
- https://twitter.com/octavorce – Joel Carlbark on Twitter
- https://github.com/vorce/ – Joel Carlbark on Github
- https://forvillelser.vorce.se/ – Blog
Find us online