The Phoenix 1.7 announcement blog post mentioned the ability to swap out Cowboy for another webserver like Bandit. We talked with Mat Trudel to learn more about his pure-Elixir webserver and find out how it works with Phoenix. We learn Bandit can be up to 5x faster by narrowly focusing on turning a request into a Plug connection and much more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/128
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/features/security/ – Github's Dependabot now supports private hex repositories.
- https://twitter.com/sorentwo/status/1595526317436452864 – Parker Selbert brought this to our attention.
- https://hexdocs.pm/mix/Mix.Tasks.Deps.Unlock.html – CI tip to check for unused mix lock entries
- https://twitter.com/RudManusachi/status/1597341690653999106 – Shared by Rudolf on Twitter
- mix deps.unlock --check-unused
- https://fly.io/phoenix-files/github-actions-for-elixir-ci/ – CI resource for Elixir projects on Github
- https://twitter.com/TechRecHayden/status/1595776257513373699 – Hayden Evans spotted that Zoom is using Erlang in production for their chat platform.
- Mastadon instances to consider if looking for a Twitter alternative...
- https://www.lambdadays.org/lambdadays2023 – Lambda Days conference returns as an in-person only event to Kraków on 5-6 June 2023.
- https://phoenixframework.org/blog/phoenix-1.7-released – Phoenix 1.7 blog post described at the end - “Alternative Webserver Support”
- https://github.com/mtrudel/bandit – “Bandit is a pure Elixir HTTP server for Plug & WebSock applications”
- https://github.com/mtrudel/thousand_island – “Thousand Island is a pure Elixir socket server, powering the layer underneath Bandit”
- https://ninenines.eu/docs/en/cowboy/2.9/guide/ – Cowboy docs
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/57 – Scaling Live Chat with Cade Ward episode
- https://github.com/mtrudel/talks/blob/main/2022-05-EMPEX-MTX-a-funny-thing-happened-on-the-way-to-the-phoenix.pdf – 2022 EMPEX presentation slides
- https://github.com/mtrudel/talks/blob/main/2021-10-ElixirConf-bandit-on-the-loose.pdf – 2021 Elixir Conf presentation slides
- https://twitter.com/mattrudel – on Twitter
- https://github.com/mtrudel/ – on Github
- https://mat.geeky.net – Blog
Find us online