The "fediverse" has become a hot topic of late. Fortunately, Mayel de Boniol joined to explain what federated means, what ActivityPub is, and more. Mayel is more than just knowledgeable in this area, he created Bonfire Networks as well! It's written in Elixir and is a framework people can use to build their own federated servers to meet their specific needs, be that for tweet-like messages, meetup coordination, collaborative task lists or your own custom extensions. Being written in Elixir and OpenSource, he explains a number of libraries that can help those of us not even building a social app at all!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/136
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/fhunleth/status/1615869044665597952 – Interesting benchmark about Elixir/Erlang startup times
- https://twitter.com/wojtekmach/status/1615433573301121025 – Livebook Desktop is getting the internals completely revamped
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/113 – Interview with Wojtek about Livebook Desktop in greater detail.
- https://twitter.com/livebookdev/status/1616508498212229123 – Basile Nouvellet created a Discord integration for Livebook
- https://github.com/basilenouvellet/kino_discord – Kino Discord library for integrating Discord with Livebook
- https://changelog.com/posts/id3vx-a-library-for-parsing-and-encoding-id3-tags – Lars Wikman helped the Changelog podcast add chapters to their MP3 recordings and wrote about how to do it.
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1617815721592950784 – Andrea Leopardi updated Elixir dbg to print out boolean expression results.
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1617521132529389568 – Andrea Leopardi is writing an Elixir book about network programming
- https://twitter.com/clarkware/status/1616504190171287565 – Mike Clark with PragProg shared that they are working on a new LiveView video series
- https://tw.com/elixir_temple/status/1616766786971516929 – Temple updated to work well with HEEx templates
- https://github.com/mhanberg/temple – Temple is an Elixir DSL for writing HTML and SVG
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/92 – Temple interview with Mitchell Hanberg
- https://alembic.com.au/blog/announcing-ash-authentication – Ash Framework announced Ash Authentication
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/123 – Ash Framework Models Resources
- https://bonfirenetworks.org/faq/ – Question 2 - Federated? What does that mean?
- https://github.com/bonfire-networks/pointers – Ecto's missing universal foreign key
- https://github.com/bonfire-networks/flexto – config-based extending of Ecto schemas
- https://github.com/bonfire-networks/ecto_sparkles – Various helpers for Ecto
- https://doc.bonfirenetworks.org/bonfire-flavoured-elixir.html – Arrows and Untangle
- https://doc.bonfirenetworks.org/boundaries.html – Circles and Boundaries
- https://github.com/bonfire-networks/bonfire_epics – Epics
- https://bonfirenetworks.org/extensions/ – some of the extensions
- https://github.com/mayel/ – on Github
- https://mayel.space/ – Blog
- https://sunbeam.city/@mayel – on Fediverse
- https://indieweb.social/@bonfire – Bonfire on Fediverse
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - email@example.com
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org