A challenge for many people learning Elixir is the change in the mental model. Coming from OOP to Functional changes how we reason about our applications and the old way doesn't always map over cleanly. Also, Elixir is capable of doing a lot more than other languages and frameworks can and this means learning how to build a “normal” application may change. We talk with Steve Bussey about his new book “From Ruby to Elixir” that aims to help people bridge that gap. While the title says “Ruby”, we discuss how many of the concepts apply to people coming from most OOP languages. We talk about different libraries to recommend to people coming from a traditional Rails stack and more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/158
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/security/advisories/GHSA-564w-97r7-c6p9 – Livebook security advisory for Windows installs
- https://twitter.com/livebookdev/status/1671576191461990407 – Livebook security notice on Twitter
- https://www.twitch.tv/josevalim/videos?filter=highlights&sort=time – José Valim shared where we can find past Twitch videos
- https://elixirforum.com/t/elixir-v1-15-0-released/56584/6 – Workaround for Elixir 1.15.0 with issues compiling the Erlang dependency ssl_verify_fun.
- https://twitter.com/ac_alejos/status/1672351346278944769 – New Decision Tree library called Mockingjay takes advantage of Nx
- https://github.com/acalejos/mockingjay – Mockingjay Decision Tree library
- https://twitter.com/zachsdaniel1/status/1673278949667885057 – The EEF (Erlang Ecosystem Foundation) approved the creation of a new working group.
- https://erlef.org/wg/libs-and-frameworks – the Libraries and Frameworks working group page
- https://twitter.com/ZachSDaniel1/status/1672248650502660098 – Ash Framework released 2.11.0-rc.0 is out
- https://github.com/CargoSense/briefly – Noticed "briefly" is a library to help manage temporary files
- https://twitter.com/DNAutics/status/1672828839574089728 – Isaac Yonemoto released 0.1 of his OpenAPI router library Apical
- https://hexdocs.pm/apical – Apical github project
- https://www.elixir-tools.dev/next-ls/ – Mitch Hanberg sharing some early progress with his Next-LS project.
- https://twitter.com/royalicing/status/1671689512685301762 – Patrick Smith shared a sneak peak of a new library called Orb for compiling Elixir code to WebAssembly
- https://github.com/ComponentsGuide/components_guide/tree/master/lib/components_guide/wasm – The OpenSource project where Orb code will be extracted from.
- https://twitter.com/YOOOODAAAA/status/1663988571047354371 – Twitter post announcing Beta version of the book.
- https://pragprog.com/titles/sbsockets/real-time-phoenix/ – Previous book "Real-Time Phoenix” published in March 2020.
- https://twitter.com/YOOOODAAAA – on Twitter
- https://github.com/sb8244/ – on Github
- http://www.stephenbussey.com/ – Blog
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @email@example.com