In this episode, we kick off with the major release of Bandit 1.0, an Elixir substitute for Cowboy, that's making an impact with its performance. We move on to the Elixir compiler's dev experience improvements in the upcoming Elixir v1.16. We then transition to talk about the various Language Server alternatives available, how their features compare, and the newly announced Erlang Language Server at CodeBEAM Europe. We talk about the newly added support of the Mistral LLM with the Bumblebee library and why this is interesting, the introduction of Permit - an authorization library for Phoenix apps, and more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/175
Elixir Community News
- https://twitter.com/ryanrwinchester/status/1715129566421831878 – Announcement about Bandit 1.0 release.
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/128 – Previous interview with Mat Trudel about Bandit as a Phoenix web server.
- https://elixirforum.com/t/bandit-a-pure-elixir-http-server-for-plug-websock-applications/59146/1 – Forum post related to Bandit and its integration with Phoenix Projects
- https://mat.geeky.net/2023/10/19/bandit-is-all-grown-up.html – Blog post covering the history and the release of Bandit
- https://cloud.google.com/blog/products/identity-security/how-it-works-the-novel-http2-rapid-reset-ddos-attack – Reference to HTTP/2 related topics
- https://twitter.com/josevalim/status/1716372821671067900 – Updates from José Valim about new compiler error reporting diagnostics coming in Elixir v1.16.
- https://twitter.com/magevinicius/status/1716601466113130685 – Follow up about the compiler error reporting diagnostics.
- https://gist.github.com/Nezteb/dc63f1d5ad9d88907dd103da2ca000b1 – Comparison of different Language Server (LS) options in Elixir created by Noah Betzen.
- https://elixirforum.com/t/comparing-elixir-language-servers-elixirls-lexical-and-next-ls/59372 – ElixirForum post about LS comparisons.
- https://twitter.com/PragTob/status/1715339945898869225 – Announcement of new Erlang Language Server at CodeBEAM Europe.
- https://github.com/WhatsApp/erlang-language-platform – Github link for new Erlang Language Server.
- https://www.elixir-tools.dev/news/the-elixir-tools-update-vol-4/ – Updates about NextLS, another Language Server.
- https://twitter.com/sean_moriarity/status/1715042161677201428 – Information about Mistral coming to Bumblebee.
- https://github.com/elixir-nx/bumblebee/pull/264 – The PR for adding Mistral support.
- https://mistral.ai/ – More about Mistral.
- https://twitter.com/sean_moriarity/status/1715758666001928613 – Process of adding new models to Bumblebee.
- https://curiosum.com/blog/authorize-access-to-your-phoenix-app-with-permit – Introduction to Permit, an authorization library for Phoenix application.
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/162 – Interview with Patrick Smith about Orb and using WebAssembly in the browser.
- https://youtu.be/UnMcBa2efX4?si=l1xer5YpzrJyvMov&t=742 – Presentation about his color picker example that uses WebAssembly for complex but very smooth browser side operation.
- https://twitter.com/sprsmpl/status/1716635858281902140 – Announcement about NervesConf.
- https://elixirconf.africa/ – Information regarding the Elixir Safari conference in Africa.
- https://twitter.com/ElixirConfEU/status/1713929804062273663 – ElixirConf Europe's call for talks.
- https://www.elixirconf.eu/ – Conference website for ElixirConf Europe.
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @email@example.com