Reviewing Elixir with José Valim - Part 4
April 26th, 2022
1 hr 18 mins 3 secs
About this Episode
José Valim returns for part 4 in our 5 part series as we count down to the 10 year anniversary of the Elixir project we know and love! In Part 4, we talk through the Elixir releases of 1.10, 1.11, and 1.12. We go deeper on the philosophy of “explicit vs implicit” and how that informs many design decisions about the language. We learn about how Elixir and Erlang loggers were unified, how matching on map keys in guards enabled receives block enhancements, how common date sorting bugs were solved with Enum.sort improvements (that you should really listen to), the improvements to application config, how exceptions work in Erlang and Elixir and much more! A packed episode!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/96
Elixir Community News
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/pull/1115 – Livebook adds “Code Focus Mode” making it easier to focus on the code cells.
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/discussions – Livebook project announced and opened a Github Discussions section to the project.
- https://github.com/phoenixframework/phoenix_live_dashboard/pull/367 – Full screen mode contribution added to Phoenix LiveDashboard project.
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/92 – Mitch Hanberg talked with us previously about Temple
- https://github.com/mhanberg/eex_compiler_visualizer – Mitch Hanberg created an “EEX Compiler Visualizer” project.
- https://twitter.com/mitchellh/status/1515369637726224385?s=12&t=so7B66NTrJKPwDWLqMxpJA – The Zig language reached the milestone of being self-hosted
- https://github.com/ziglang/zig/pull/11442 – Zig being self-hosted means the compiler is capable of building itself.
Do you have some Elixir news to share? Tell us at @ThinkingElixir or email at email@example.com
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.10/CHANGELOG.md – Elixir 1.10 changelog
- https://elixirforum.com/t/discussion-incorporating-erlang-otp-21-map-guards-in-elixir/14816 – Incorporating Erlang/OTP 21 map guards in Elixir
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.11/CHANGELOG.md – Elixir 1.11 changelog
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.12/CHANGELOG.md – Elixir 1.12 changelog
- https://www.erlang.org/eeps/eep-0054.html – EEP 54 - Provide more information about errors
- https://hexdocs.pm/elixir/Enum.html#sort/2-sorting-structs – Improvements to sort-based APIs in Enum - Enum.sort(dates, Date)
- CMD+\ or CTRL+\
- https://twitter.com/josevalim – on Twitter
- https://github.com/josevalim – on Github
- https://dashbit.co/ – Dashbit website and blog
- https://erlef.org/news/ – The Erlang Ecosystem Foundation news
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- Cade Ward - @cadebward