In episode 110, we talked about, and rejected, the argument for the “End of Localhost Development”. Carter Bryden joins us to share a perspective from the other side, one in favor of remote development. We learn about the benefits to contractors, PR reviews, giving demos, and how containerizing our development environment even improves local development. We learn about the tools, services, and techniques that make it possible. An interesting look into a different way of developing our favorite language!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/116
Elixir Community News
- https://www.humblebundle.com/books/elixir-programming-pragmatic-programmers-books – Elixir Programming Book bundle - Humble Bundle
- https://twitter.com/whatyouhide/status/1566774954393305088 – Upcoming Elixir features
- https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/pull/12109 – PR adding diffs for "mix format --check-formatted"
- https://twitter.com/scenicframework/status/1566720982412173312 – Scenic v0.11.0 was released
- https://hexdocs.pm/scenic/upgrading_to_v0-11.html – Scenic upgrade guide
- https://twitter.com/dockyard/status/1565769297393135617 – DockYard ElixirConf keynote talked about 4 major R&D projects.
- https://dockyard.com/blog/2022/08/29/dockyard-r-d-beacon-brings-phoenix-speeds-to-your-cms – DockYard's Beacon CMS project
- https://twitter.com/amnicd/status/1563253296101756929 – Another example of a mobile app written in Elixir.
- https://gitlab.com/Nicd/geo-therminator – Gitlab project of the Android Elixir app
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/98 – Interview with Dominic Letz about Elixir Desktop project
- https://twitter.com/atyborska93/status/1565997307031703553 – Elixir track on Exercism.io is now running Elixir 1.14.
- https://surface-ui.org/blog/what-s-new-in-surface-0-8 – Surface 0.8.0 was released during the conference
- https://github.com/surface-ui/surface/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md#v080-2022-09-01 – Surface changelog includes "Scoped CSS styles"
- https://twitter.com/livebookdev/status/1565434195324936194 – José Valim tweeted demonstration of Livebook's ability to manipulate pipelines using dbg feature
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/110 – End of Localhost Development?
- https://twitter.com/CarterBryden/status/1555299999952486401 – Twitter response to episode prompting interview
- https://github.com/features/codespaces – Github CodeSpaces
- https://aws.amazon.com/cloud9/ – Amazon Cloud9
- https://www.gitpod.io/ – Gitpod.io
- https://twitter.com/carterbryden – on Twitter
- https://approximated.app/ – Solo app Carter mentioned
- http://quantifiedcitizen.com/ – Carter's day job
- http://indielixir.com – Carter's hobby Elixir podcast
Find us online