This week's news highlights Discord's deep-dive into how they've scaled their servers to support millions of concurrent users, leveraging Elixir's power. We cover how the Oban notifier has evolved to include Phoenix.PubSub and Redis integration, allowing more flexibility for your job processing needs. LiveView Native's tutorial experience looks promising to make mobile development smoother and more intuitive. Plus, we cover the Livebook PR merge upgrading to the Bandit library and more!
Show Notes online - http://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/177
Elixir Community News
- https://discord.com/blog/maxjourney-pushing-discords-limits-with-a-million-plus-online-users-in-a-single-server – Discord blog post detailing the scaling of individual Discord servers and the technical challenges involved.
- https://github.com/discord/manifold – GitHub link to Discord's opensource Elixir library "Manifold" used for batch message passing between nodes.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP86Svk4hzI – Chris Grainger discusses using Elixir + Phoenix + Nx in production with machine learning on the BEAM.
- https://github.com/livebook-dev/livebook/pull/2316 – A Livebook PR titled "Upgrade to bandit" merged by José Valim, signifying an endorsement for the Bandit library.
- https://twitter.com/cvkmohan/status/1719489327925694682 – Discussion on Twitter about using Bandit as an upgrade for a Phoenix app.
- https://elixirstream.dev/gendiff/phx_new/19CBA027FA97E2873CC24093F6AC1820 – A flag added to elixirstream.dev for diffing generated output, introduced in Phoenix 1.7.8.
- https://github.com/sorentwo/oban_notifiers_phoenix – Release of a new Oban notifier powered by Phoenix.PubSub, compatible with OTP and now able to use Redis.
- https://twitter.com/bcardarella/status/1720179762088272080 – Tease of the upcoming LiveView Native v0.2 and its tutorial experience using Livebook.
- https://podcast.thinkingelixir.com/174 – Previous interview about DockYard's BeaconCMS
- https://twitter.com/bcardarella/status/1721172482298663214 – Twitter post discussing the 'Variants' feature for A/B/C/D/etc. page variant testing in BeaconCMS.
- https://twitter.com/NervesMeetup/status/1721389396417728782 – Announcement tweet for the next Nerves embedded systems meetup.
- https://www.meetup.com/nerves/events/290189609/ – Meetup link for the Nerves embedded systems event featuring a walkthrough by Alex McLain.
Find us online
- Message the show - @ThinkingElixir
- Message the show on Fediverse - @ThinkingElixir@genserver.social
- Email the show - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mark Ericksen - @brainlid
- Mark Ericksen on Fediverse - @email@example.com
- David Bernheisel - @bernheisel
- David Bernheisel on Fediverse - @firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cade Ward - @cadebward
- Cade Ward on Fediverse - @email@example.com